Monday, August 24, 2015

Hey Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  
Exciting things are happening. We are teaching this girl named Ashley who has been to church twice so far. She is SUPER cool. She is 24 and she has a daughter. She is really funny and is accepting and learning a lot. Sister Bradley and I taught Sunday School yesterday. We aren't lazy, I promise! But we showed a video about the restoration after we taught a little before. People had amazing comments. It was really cool. It had been awhile since I watched the video, and I love seeing how Joseph's humble prayer was answered.
   Samantha, the bishop's daughter who just returned from her mission gave her talk yesterday. It was really good so I wrote it all down so I could give it as my homecoming talk. Except I will change the word Chile for California. Just kidding.
Here are pictures of us and Pat ( she made an instagram account!!!! and she wanted to take a picture with us!) I am holding Molly, her cat.
   Then there is a picture of me and Vella. They both live in the same retirement community. It is really nice. They are both so cool and I love them and will miss them a whole bunch!
   My companion and I have been biking more, and I love it!!! I love my bike so much. Hopefully I can devise a plan of how to keep it after my mission so I won't ever have to drive!! Just kidding. 
   It has been a crazy week but some cool and sad things happened. Some cool things. Brother Birch, who is one of the most Christ-like people I have ever met had us over for dinner with his family. At the end of our stay he said that they have seen A LOT of missionaries but we are the best he has seen. I don't know if that is true, but Bro Birch is a stand up guy and it meant a lot coming from him. Also, Dorris, someone else we are teaching said that we are beautiful (don't be surprised but we don't get that very often, I think it is because  I intimidate them with my intense biking skills). Dorris also said that when her 10 year old says when she sees us on our bikes that we are angels. That was pretty sweet.
  Sad news, my favorite guy, Jack Fletcher, is permanently in the hospital for a sort of hospice care. I am sad I won't be able to see him again, but so blessed to know him. Some of the qualities he has that I love is his optimism and charity. He loves everyone! When we would walk in all gross and sweaty from riding up a GIANT hill to get to his house he'd say how lovely we looked that day (even though he is blind) and he never complained about his situation. He was always so grateful that we were there and love to here us sing. He'd tell us all these crazy stories from serving in WWII, growing up in Arizona, going blind, and his conversion. He worried about us on bikes and offered to tell our mission president that we need motorcycles or convertibles. He fed us lunch and graced us with his personality and laugh.
  I love and miss you all!! I leave you with something I learned this week; Love and service are closely related (they're first cousins). When we love we serve and when we serve we love.

LOTS OF LOVE,

Sister Emily Dickenson

No comments:

Post a Comment